2 Sukhoi SU-27UB Aircraft for sale on the open U.S. Market

24 Responses to “2 Sukhoi SU-27UB Aircraft for sale on the open U.S. Market”

• dahuletam says:

Best article, lots of intersting things to digest. Very informative

• […] 2 Sukhoi SU-27UB Aircraft for sale on the open U.S. Market | Notes from the field? whatthewhonow.com/2009/08/28/su-27-aircraft-for-sale – view page – cached #Notes from the field? RSS Feed Notes from the field? Atom Feed Notes from the field? » 2 Sukhoi SU-27UB Aircraft for sale on the open U.S. Market Comments Feed Notes from the field? Setting Expectations Major General Gregory Feest visits Chicago for the Air and Water Show — From the page […]

• Daniel Rouk says:

Great article, but it just leaves me wanting even more!

Since the hard points have been removed, does that mean the option to mount external fuel drop-tanks has also been eliminated?

Why the restriction on flying outside the US? I’m guessing that this is because the planes in and of themselves are classified as weapons and export rules apply?

Any idea what the requirements are for a pilot wanting to fly these? I’m assuming at least 1000 hours like the L-39s Pride also sells. Love to hear if some other type rating is necessary to fly supersonic (and given the restrictions on leaving US, where one might be able to actually do so)

Pride’s own info about the Flanker’s has been taken down from their website. Does this mean they have already sold?

• scottfmurphy says:

Daniel,
    I’ll try to answer your questions as best I can:

You’re correct, with the hard points removed there is no accommodation for extended range drop tanks.

I guess I should clarify the US restriction, they’re not restricted from flying outside the US, they’re restricted from being sold to any non US buyers – for obvious export reasons.

As for the training required to operate them, the guys at Pride indicated that you’d have to have a minimum of 1000 hours PIC and experience in high G conditions. They said that anyone who had been flying something like the L-39 would easily be able to transition into the Flanker. There is no type rating required to go faster than the speed of sound, you would have to go out into international waters. There is apparently a restriction on Mach if you have a US Pilot Certificate unless you receive special permission from the FAA – not a type rating, but “special permission”. I assume that if you did go faster than sound over international waters and didn’t have special permission, you would be violated when you got back into US airspace.

I’m not sure why the information was taken down, I do know that the jets have not been sold as of this comment.

Hope that helps!

• John Morgan says:

Scott, there is no provision for fuel as underwing stores on any variant of the SU-27. All fuel is internal and all u/w hardpoints are for weapons. ALL weapons capability has been permanently removed from these a/c. This makes these SU’s the cleanest, lightest and best performing SU-27UB’s anywhere in the world!

Best Regards, John Morgan

• James says:

What I am thinking is Tonopah and the testing of foreign military aircraft that still is ongoing even though the original program that had us flying Mig-17’s, 21’s and the 23’s was terminated in 1989. And what I am thinking is the price is not too bad especially if you want intel on those planes like you sampled with the Moldavian Mig-29’s. Most definitely, I am surprised the Air Force did not spring for greenbucks to buy the pair once it came to Rockport Illinois last year.

Ultimately, the best use for those two is museum pieces. I can envision one at National Museum of the Air Force and the other at Udvar Hazy Museum. Deep pockets are needed and one who can easily afford them is aviation enthusiast Paul Allen who is close buddy and co-founder of Microsoft with Bill Gates. A cut rate deal of 7 million can be negotiatied for the pair and they can be flown to their respective museums by USAF pilots or hauled there by truck..

• Scott Schaefer says:

What a great toy for the person that can afford it and qualify to fly it!

Are ejection seats allowed in a demilitarized military plane? I thought that they were prohibited in the US with the exception of active military planes. Ejection would be the way to get out of a un salvageable situation. Bailing out of this aircraft or attempting to land dead stick really are not options.

• erhue says:

These planes are solely suitable for purchase by a very rich enthusiast, because having almost zero- time engines doesn’t make sense for a museum.

• ronald bean says:

I’ll buy those planes, do they come with experienced pilots, I’ll give the pilots 100,000 per year. I got a J.E.T. mission coming up and need to train my flac boys.

• James says:

Have either of those planes sold yet?

• john youngs says:

Ejection seats are perfectly legal within the US – most jet warbirds (F-86 Sabres, F-104 Starfighters, MiG-21’s, MiG-17’s, etc; have them. The only requirement for ejection seats is that you are required to notify the airport manager (staff) of the airfield (or the local sheriff’s office if it’s an un-controlled field) the plane is based at, that you have an aircraft with explosive-powered seats. This is because of the potential of the hazards of fighting a possible fire around a plane so-equipped. This is an FAA regulation.

• Fabrizio says:

Those planes do NOT belong in a museum! They have basically 0 fly hours. Whoever stated they belong in a museum doesn’t understand a shit about aeronautic. In a museum belong planes with 30 years of service that can’t fly any longer due to over stress. James, get out of here.

• our company went to overhaul 3 su-27 aircraft in your company p/s send me overhaul cost?

• Tom says:

Damn i wish i could afford that

• Tom says:

the plane that is

• Robin Alan Fuller says:

Ran across this article while searching images for my personal web site. As with others, i am curious when/if these were sold and for how much. I live currently in Ukraine, am former USAF pilot, and collect such aircraft FOR FLYING not museum pieces. I have a Mig 29, several USAF jets of the f15/16/18 genre, an older Mig 15 and USAF P-80, and F-86. Also F4c Phantom and other older WW2 craft. I am searching for other projects, to add to my fleet. I have picked up a Russian cargo jet capable of moving just about any aircraft or smaller jets in quantity. As owner/CEO of a commercial airline base din Kyiv, I’d love to make new connections to persons willing to help locate, so i can purchase. Price not an issue. Condition is, but completeness is NOT, my second wife was Soviet Major, flew the SU 27 and the Mi 29 and 35, and we still have connections IN KYIV with Russian aircraft enthusiasts, but i need more English speaking ones since her recent death. Feel free to contact me at this email or at my Airline extension ( LyonsAire International Inc ) 469-258-6674

• Kern Arceneaux says:

Yeah, those beautiful birds belong in the sky.

• How did this happen three years ago and I’m just learning about it now (Sept. ’12)…oh yeah, I was off the internet for a while back then. Now my dream of owning a P-51 has been somewhat diminished…no sir, as exciting as these supersonic machines are, I would still take the P-51…of course if $$$ was no object, suppose I’d have both…and I would listen to “Cheap Trick’s” MIGHTY WINGS on my way to my menial job. LOL.

• R.Hubbell says:

I recall driving past the airport and there they sat,these two Soviet aircraft????,being an A/P how could I resist , I recall stopping and just gazing in awe at these behemoth fighters,following the lines of the aircraft I guess with sort of a muted comparison going on in my head- U.S. vs. them type of thinking I suppose.As I stood there, and stood there , and stood there, I could only find myself finally walking away with only one thought and A smile on my face-“Awesome”.The experience left me with a definite respect for the simplicity and effectiveness of Russian Aviation products, so if I ever win the Lottery-first stop Rockford!!!!

• Jason says:

I just found this today (4/21/13) and i live in Wisconsin. Like Whittington said, if $$$ wasn’t a problem, I’d by one in a heart beat. You guys should bring them up to EAA sometime. I would love to see them flying there.

• tyrique says:

Has either plane sold yet?

• Stephan G. Janosik says:

WOW!!! I would love to own just one of these and take it to my local airport which for me is Martinsburg Airport in Blair County Pennsylvania and just tear up the skies with it. Put on a air show for the public at large 😉
    Zoom down to the deck about 100 feet off the ground and zoom right back up into the air to about 12,000 feet and then take it where I wanted to travel in the first place. Imagine landing this at either JFK in New York or in Boston! Aint that a hoot!

• Jake says:

I want one of these things SO BAD! I agree with Daniel Rouk though. That would be really nice if they had left the hard points on for drop tanks. It’s not likely though that we’re going to play around with lethal missiles or bombs just as civilians. We’re probably not even going to find the right weapons and be authorized to get them.

• James says:

Both planes sold to USAF for Tonopah use. Already tested and flown and completely scoped out. Hope one will be saved for Dayton museum.